Welcome to SVIAS
The Swami Vipulananda College of Music and Dance was recognized as an Institute for higher learning for the purpose providing, promoting and developing higher education in Aesthetic Studies and officially affiliated to the Eastern University, Sri Lanka with effect from 14th of March 2005 through the Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka – Extra ordinary dated June 3rd 2005. The Institute has been named as Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies (SVIAS), Eastern University, Sri Lanka . The following Departments of Study in respect of the Discipline had been approved:
- Department of Carnatic Music
- Department of Dance, Drama and Theatre
- Department of Visual and Technological Arts
University Grants Commission had sent first batch of students from the academic year 2005/2006. All the teaching and non teaching staff of SVCMD were officially absorbed to the SVIAS with effect from March, 2005 and Certain teaching staff were absorbed as Senior Lecturer and Lecturers (Prob.) while others were absorbed as Instructors on personal to the holder basis. Mrs. Balambigai Rajeswaran, M.A (Music), M.Phil. (India) was appointed by the UGC as the first director of SVIAS, EUSL, MR. K.Premakumar, Ph.D. (Post Harvest Technology), M.Sc. (Post Harvest Technology), B.Sc. (Ag) the second director of SVIAS and Dr.S. Jeyasankar is functioning as director now.
- A world where the power of imagination and creative practice leads toward Justice, Sustainability, Peace, Visual and Sonic expression, and the Emancipation of the human spirit.
- To pursue, at all levels and scales, excellence in teaching, research, skill, building, Performance and the dissemination of knowledge, while building the leaders of tomorrow.
- To provide an intellectual and creative space for developing individual and collective voice, values, practice, performance, meaning,and purpose beyond the self.
- To empower outside/local communities to continue, evolve and document their traditions within a context of sustainable livelihoods and sustainable community.